Middle Level Band
Aug. 30 - Business Meeting @ Gardner-Edgerton HS
Oct. 11 - Nomination Deadline - $12 participation fee per selected student
Dec. 3 - Clinic & Concert @ Blue Valley HS
- Rehearse in Little Gym
- Perform in auditorium
Nominations must be entered online in the KMEA Members
Students must be in 7th or 8th grade. There will not be a 9th grade honor band.
Blue Valley High School
6001 W. 159th Street, Stilwell, KS 66085
Event Date & Schedule
Saturday, Dec. 3, 2022 - First Saturday in December, in conjunction with EC District Mini-Convention
- 7:25 AM - 7/8 Band registration begins in the main gym
- 7:40 AM - 7/8 Band begins rehearsals; breaks and lunchtime included
- 1:00 PM - ML Band Concert in the Main Gym at BVH
Students should arrive at the main gym at BVH in the morning between 7:25-7:40 AM to check in, purchase lunch, and find their seats.
Student lunch may be purchased on-site at morning arrival/registration for $8 (cash only).
Concert tickets may be purchased at the door for $1.
The 7th/8th Grade Band provides an honor band experience for top-performing students from each nominating school. Students will have approximately 4 hours of rehearsal with
an accomplished local band director, concluding with a concert. Music is distributed through band directors in advance, and students are expected to have prepared their
parts before arriving. Listening examples for each piece will be posted soon. Directors may nominate up to 8 students for participation in each band. Students are selected
based on rankings and detailed information provided in nominations.
Nominate top-performing students who will be an asset to the group and will contribute and learn from working with an outstanding music educator. Directors, please provide
detailed information in your nominations that will best represent each student's ability [i.e. practical range, other honor band participation, private lessons, other outstanding
qualifications). The list of accepted students will be posted on the website and emailed to nominating directors within one week of the nomination deadline. At least one student will
be accepted from each nominating school.
Each selected student will incur a $12 participation fee. Please send one school check payable to ECKMEA to the chairperson (address on this screen).
Use the ECKMEA Invoice Generator
to create your printed invoice.
Eligible percussionists are students who are strong in all percussion specialties: mallets, timpani, and snare drum. Each selected student will be assigned a mallet part, snare
drum part, bass drum or accessory, and other instruments per repertoire requirements. Nominated students would be expected to play any instrument.
What to Bring
- Nominating directors must be a current member of NAfME-KMEA.
- Directors, please ensure your students will be available to attend the event before nominating them.
Honor Band members will need to bring the following to the event:
- Your Instrument & Music Folder that was mailed to you. No extra music will be provided.
- Folding music stand! No music stands will be provided.
- Show up in the morning wearing your school concert uniform or other nice clothes. You will not have a chance to change clothes before the concert.
- Percussionists will need to bring all mallets, sticks, and any instruments they play. Bass Drum, timpani, and mallet keyboards are the only instruments that will be provided. Each
participating percussionist will be assigned an instrument to bring in addition to their personal materials.