East Central Kansas Music Educators Association
2020-21 ECKMEA Events
Due to the COVID-19 situation, ECKMEA will not hold in-person events this year. Please note:
- Auditions for HS honor ensembles will be held online via a video recorded process, read below for more details.
- High School students named to a district instrumental ensemble will be eligible to audition for KMEA All-State Instrumental Ensembles.
- High School choir students who score high enough will be named to the KMEA All-State Choirs in the normal fashion.
- Details regarding honor ensemble souvenirs will be published at a later date.
- ECKMEA District Mini-Conventions, scheduled for December 5, 2020 have been cancelled.
2020-21 ECKMEA Honor Group Waiver of Enrollment Requirement
For the 2020-21 school year only, a student may audition (or be nominated) for an ECKMEA honor ensemble even if the student is unable to participate
in their school's music program due to circumstances resulting from COVID-19. Any student in such a situation must work with their school's music teacher(s)
to complete the necessary ECKMEA forms and procedures. By submitting a student's audition or nomination, a teacher verifies that the student is or has previously
been a member of their school's music program in good standing.
HS Honor Group Video Auditions
The ECKMEA Board has voted to utilize a recorded video audition process in lieu of regular live auditions which were scheduled for Nov. 7, 2020.
Message from ECKMEA President Dan Freeman
- This change will apply only to the 2020-2021 school year.
- All auditions, regardless of genre, must be registered in the KMEA Members site (standard operation) prior to the Late #2 deadline of Nov. 4, 2020. There will not be a Late #3 deadline.
- HS honor group chairs will determine the details for each audition (Band, Choir, Jazz Band, Orchestra).
This detailed information will be provided to directors and students as soon as it is ready.
- Sight reading will be removed from the 2020-2021 audition requirements.
- Videos will be saved to YouTube as unlisted with embedding allowed, in accordance with forthcoming directions from the chairs.
- Video URLs must be submitted by Nov. 4, 2020 at 11:59:59 PM. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Judging of videos will take place on the regular date of Nov. 7, 2020 at Gardner-Edgerton HS. This event will involve ECKMEA chairs, judges, & room monitors only (no students).
Judges will listen to the audio portion only for scoring each entry. Judges will not be permitted to view the videos.
KMEA Mentoring Network
Attention New Teachers!
JOIN the Mentoring Network
- CONNECT with experienced mentors and fellow beginning music educators.
- ENGAGE in professional learning through mentoring events and online discussions.
- ENJOY SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT from a professional community that is committed to your success.
Check out these events designed for first and second year teachers.
Mentoring Help Line
Contact your district mentor chair if you have a question or need resources or help.