High School Band
ECKMEA In-Person mini-conventions are cancelled for 2020-21. Auditions and nominations for honor groups will be held online. Rosters will be published.
Participation Eligibility Requirements
In order participate in an ECKMEA Honor Ensemble nomination process, audition,
rehearsal, and / or performance, students must:
- Attend a school that is in good standing with KSHSAA within the geographic
boundaries of the East Central District
- Be a freshman, sophomore, junior, senior in good standing at their school and
meet any applicable KSHSAA eligibility requirements
- Be enrolled in a vocal or instrumental performance class at their school
- Be registered to audition or nominated by an active ECKMEA member
- Have all appropriate registration or audition fees paid on their behalf
High School students must select only one area in which to audition (Band, Choir,
or Orchestra.) The only allowable exception is that Orchestra students may
audition for Jazz Band, but will have to choose between Orchestra and Jazz Band if
selected for both. Instrumental students must have their director declare a
preference for instrument and ensemble when registering. Honor Ensemble Chairs
will consider student preference in addition to audition scores, instrumentation, and
ensemble quality when placing students who are selected for more than one group
(i.e. Flute / Piccolo; Jazz / Concert Band.)
Music Requirements for the
Major Scales up to four sharps and four flats are a part of the East Central District
Honor Bands Audition. Please refer to the "Practical Ranges for Audition Scales"
when advising students on the number of octaves required of specific scales and
full range for chromatic scale.
- A full range chromatic scale slurred up and tongued down. Quarter Note MM=120. Memorization is not required.
- One major scale with up to 4 sharps or 4 flats. Quarter Note MM= 120.
Memorization is not required. All scales will start on the lowest possible starting
note in the practical range. Each scale is non-transposed (i.e., if a trumpet player
is asked to perform a C scale, they will be expected to perform a C scale on their
instrument, not a C concert scale.) The major scale for each instrument will be
posted by the band chairpersons on the morning of live auditions.
HS Band Scale Ranges.pdf
- Sections of the required etudes/solos.
Wind Instruments: Please refer to the KMEA High School Band website for current etudes/solos to be
used for auditions. ksmea.org/hsband/excerpts
Additional cuts to be used for the ECKMEA video audition will be posted here on October 28.
Wind auditions will require two videos:
Video 1 - Scales
Video 2 - Excerpts
Percussion audition video requirement is TBA.
Follow these steps for adding video URLs to each audition:
- Each audition entry record must be created in the usual manner in the KMEA Members site in the EC District section.
- To add videos to existing entry records, click on the Review Entries / Update Videos button.
- To update a specific audition, click on the Update Videos button in that entry.
- There are three video URL entry input fields.
Make sure the proper video addresses are entered in each box (Video 1, Video 2, Video 3) based on the directions given.
URLs must be entered following the example shown below.
The segment in bold is the 11-character video identifier.
- Click on the Update button to save changes.
- Click on Return to Review Entries when finished. The Review Entries screen should have a small thumbnail displayed for each saved video URL.