High School Orchestra
ECKMEA In-Person mini-conventions are cancelled for 2020-21. Auditions and nominations for honor groups will be held online. Rosters will be published.
Please plan to attend the ECKMEA Fall Meeting on Tuesday, September 8,
at Gardner Edgerton High School
Students in grades 9, 10, 11, and 12 may audition for ECKMEA HS Orchestra. Students in grades
9-12 that make the District orchestra
and participate in the ECKMEA December mini-convention
will be eligible to audition at KMEA Instrumental Live Auditions.
[KMEA Waiver for 2020-21: HS Students named to a district instrumental roster will be eligible to participate in KMEA All-State Instrumental auditions.]
Entries will be accepted by ECKMEA according to the schedule below.
Register audition entries in the
Generate your fee invoice using the ECKMEA Invoice Generator.
Registration deadlines (all times 11:59:59 PM CST except on audition day):
- Oct. 14 - regular deadline - $10 per audition
- Oct. 28 - Late deadline #1 - $25 per audition
- Nov. 4 - Late deadline #2 - $50 per audition
Nov. 7 - Late deadline #3 - $100 per audition
Audition judging will be held Saturday, November 7 at Gardner-Edgerton HS.
Teachers are expected to help with the event.
Sign ups will be available at the ECKMEA meeting.
Blind Auditions (students can dress comfortably).
Encouraged to bring a music stand (for warm up area).
There will be snacks available for purchase.
7:00 AM - Director Meeting. Follow signs to find location of orchestra directors room.
7:30 AM - Student Registration
Audition excerpts and scales are available for download at the KMEA website.
The ECKMEA Orchestras rehearsal/performance will be held on Saturday, December 5, at Olathe West High School.
Students are expected to wear their school's concert uniform (black dress or tuxedo).
Literature will be chosen soon and practice copies will be sent to directors in November.
If chosen for the District Orchestra, students are expected to participate for the entire event- NO
EXCEPTIONS. Please note that the first Saturday in December is a popular testing day, and a student
must be present for the entire convention to be eligible to audition for state orchestra. Please make
arrangements to NOT test on the convention date if planning to audition for state orchestra.
The video will be one continuous video of the scale, excerpt #1 and excerpt #2.
Follow these steps for adding a video URL to each audition:
- Each audition entry record must be created in the usual manner in the KMEA Members site in the EC District section.
- To add videos to existing entry records, click on the Review Entries / Update Videos button.
- To update a specific audition, click on the Update Videos button in that entry.
- Make sure the proper video address is entered in the Video URL box.
URLs must be entered following the example shown below.
The segment in bold is the 11-character video identifier.
- Click on the Update button to save changes.
- Click on Return to Review Entries when finished. The Review Entries screen should have a small thumbnail displayed for each saved video URL.