Outstanding Music Educator
In an effort to make the Outstanding Music Educator of the Year Awards
for the East Central KMEA District more prestigious, the board as elected
to change the procedure for nominations and selection of teachers to
earn the award.
Each year, KMEA Districts honor music educators for outstanding
teaching at the elementary, middle school, and high school levels as
Outstanding District Music Educators (for band, orchestra and choir).
Those teachers are then considered for the state award, which is
awarded by KMEA Leadership at the Annual In-Service Workshop each
February. The state honoree is featured in the Kansas Music Review
their biography is placed on the KMEA state website.
The East Central District-Level Nomination Process
- Any East Central district music educator, at any level, may nominate a fellow music teacher.
- Qualifications for the nominee are:
- Must have been in teaching for at least ten years.
- Must be a member of KMEA.
- Program must have shown improvement and/or consistency over the years.
- Nominations are accepted the last two weeks of August, prior to the ECKMEA Annual September Business Meeting. Nominations cease August 31st.
- Nominations should be submitted to the ECKMEA President using the ECKMEA District Nomination Form.
- Nominations will be put to a vote of the membership in the KMEA Members website (linked below).
The East Central District-Level Voting Process
- East Central KMEA District teachers must have an active NAfME Membership ID in order to vote.
- Go to the KMEA Members website (members.ksmea.org) where you will complete the following:
- Create an account
- Declare your KMEA District
- Vote for Outstanding Teachers of the Year at any/all levels (band, choir and orchestra)
- The District President will notify Outstanding Teachers by September
25 if they have been selected as the Outstanding Teacher of the Year. In
addition, these teachers will be honored and recognized at our
- The President-Elect will notify your school district administration of
your accolade. In addition, your administration will be invited to attend
the December Mini-Convention Concert, free of charge, where you will be
recognized for your contribution to Music Education!
Nomination to State-level award
If you are the district's nominee for the KMEA State-Level award, the
District President will contact you and request the following
Only one District-level Outstanding Music Educator will be considered for
the State Music Educator Award.
- The information needed from the state nominee includes a) the
completed STATE Nomination Form,
b) a resume; c) a letter from the
nominee stating his/her philosophy of music education; d) a digital photo
of the nominated teacher (high resolution preferred, minimum pixel size
150w x 200h); and, e) up to TEN letters from parents, colleagues,
students, administrators, community members, alumni, etc. that support
your outstanding teaching.
- All materials must be in the hands of the President by September 20.
- The District President will submit all recognition materials to the
KMEA Vice President by October 1.