High School Jazz Band
ECKMEA In-Person mini-conventions are cancelled for 2020-21. Auditions and nominations for honor groups will be held online. Rosters will be published.
Audition Registration Deadlines
Oct. 13 - regular deadline, $10 per audition
Oct. 27 - Late deadline #1, $25 per audition
Nov. 4 - Late deadline #2, $50 per audition
Nov. 7 - Late deadline #3, on-site registration $100 per audition
Nov. 7, 2020 @ Gardner-Edgerton HS
Video entry will be due by Nov. 4
- Video #1 will be the chromatic scale. It should be recorded in one take.
- Video #2 will be the audition excerpts ("Unit 7" and "Work Song").
These should be recorded in one take with a brief pause to start and stop the backing tracks.
Optional: After playing the head for "Work Song," continue with a two chorus improvised solo.
- Video #3 will be the optional lead trumpet or bass trombone audition for those that wish to complete those auditions.
For drumset players:
- Video #1 will be "Basie Straight Ahead" and "I'll Never Smile Again"
- Video #2 will be "Rio Rhythm" and "Fall Leaves"
- Video #3 will be "Voyage Home"
Please pay special attention to the volume level of the backing track so that both the auditioner and recording can be heard.
Follow these steps for adding video URLs to each audition:
- Each audition entry record must be created in the usual manner in the KMEA Members site in the EC District section.
- To add videos to existing entry records, click on the Review Entries / Update Videos button.
- To update a specific audition, click on the Update Videos button in that entry.
- There are three video URL entry input fields.
Make sure the proper video addresses are entered in each box (Video 1, Video 2, Video 3) based on the directions given.
URLs must be entered following the example shown below.
The segment in bold is the 11-character video identifier.
- Click on the Update button to save changes.
- Click on Return to Review Entries when finished. The Review Entries screen should have a small thumbnail displayed for each saved video URL.